PA DEP states that clearing and grubbing wastes may be burned subject to the following requirements:
- Air curtain destructors shall be used when burning clearing and grubbing wastes.
- Each proposed use of air curtain destructors shall be reviewed and approved by the Department in writing with respect to equipment arrangement, design and existing environmental conditions prior to commencement of burning. Proposals approved under this subparagraph need not obtain plan approval or operating permits under Chapter 127 (relating to construction, modification, reactivation and operation of sources).
- Approval for use of an air curtain destructor at one site may be granted for a specified period not to exceed 3 months, but may be extended for additional limited periods upon further approval by the Department.
- The Department reserves the right to rescind approval granted if a determination by the Department indicates that an air pollution problem exists.
- Authorization for open burning does not apply to clearing and grubbing wastes transported from an air basin for disposal outside of an air basin.